Sunday, March 22, 2009

1969

I returned from Priesthood meeting one Sunday to find Susan experiencing labor pains. We did not go to Sunday school or Sacrament Meeting. We monitored the contractions all day long. It was a very rainy day. In the evening after dark, I drove us to the Saint Francis Hospital in nearby Lynwood. She was admitted to a room of her own. We could hear the moaning and outcries of other expectant mothers. Susan did not want to sound like them or to have our baby hear those sounds. Even in the pains of her contractions she would smile up at me as I held onto her hand so she could grip it tightly.

The baby did not want to come for a while. They gave something to help Susan to sleep between contractions but it seemed to her she was only aware of constant pain. Things were taking so long that we decided I’d go home for sleep and then work the next day. After work that Monday, the tenth of March, I went home to clean up before I went to the hospital. I guess I was just scared. In those days men were generally not allowed into the birthing room but Susan had obtained special permission. The truth was that I was afraid to see the birth of my baby. By the time I got up to the delivery room a nurse was just wheeling Susan out of the elevator. She had a big smile on her face and said, “David, you have a beautiful son and you missed seeing him born by just a few minutes.” I felt so bad that I had missed my son’s birth and vowed then and there that I would never miss anymore of my children’s births.

I found out that Susan had been in labor for 34 hours. The baby had a hard time coming because he was born face up instead of the natural down position. They had given Susan a saddle block anesthetic that would give her headaches for three months.

When I first saw Brian through the glass window, he licked his lips as if he wanted to eat. He was the biggest baby in the nursery. He was so beautiful and I felt humbled and filled with gratitude to have a beautiful son. I told myself that I was a father now.

When I got home I called Susan’s mom and dad with the great news. Mom didn’t want to worry while her daughters labored so she’d asked to know after it was all over. They were so very happy.

The next day I could hardly wait to get to work and tell my news. I’d bought Pay Day candy bars to give out instead of cigars. I guess I was traveling fast and didn’t notice I was being followed by a cop. When I parked in the Wolf Range parking lot and got out of my car, the cop, with his hand on his gun, yelled, “Stop!” I was surprised to see him and told him my exciting news. He sympathized but gave me a ticket anyway.

Mom flew out to California before Susan left the hospital. Because Brian was born in a Catholic hospital they blessed him and gave him a St. Christopher’s medal to help guide his steps through life. Brian was named and blessed in church by Bishop Paul R. Hatch. Brian was received into our South Gate Ward like a returning prince. All the mutual girls would rush to hold him whenever we walked into church.

No comments: